Since the early 1900’s, International Women’s Day has been observed throughout the world, inspiring women and celebrating their achievements. ‘Make It Happen’ is the 2015 theme, encouraging effective action for advancing and recognizing women. In honor of this, First Republic Bank would like to share the inspiring perspectives of some of our exceptional female clients.
Elisa Fisher is a host of the Ultimate Women's Expo, an event combining the very best in shopping, speakers, makeovers and rejuvenation designed for the ultimate experience for women. We spoke with Elisa about the expo, her role models and her advice for success.
1. TELL US ABOUT THE ULTIMATE WOMEN’S EXPO?
The Ultimate Women's Expo is the nation's largest touring event designed for women, with each city featuring over 600 local, regional and national exhibitors that provide products and services designed for women, their home and their families.
2. WHAT ACCOMPLISHMENT ARE YOU MOST PROUD OF?
I am most proud of my daughters, because it was not an easy journey to build my family.
3. IF YOU COULD TURN THE CLOCK BACK TO WHEN YOU WERE STARTING YOUR CAREER, WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE YOURSELF?
I would advise my younger self to accept failure as part of the process, and to not sweat the small stuff. When I first started my business, I did everything, from paying the bills to selling all of the booth space, to advertising the event, and even vacuuming my little 8 x 10 postage stamp of an office. I couldn’t afford to even pay myself a decent wage. I had to rely on a weekend job to supplement my small business.
4. WHO HAS BEEN A ROLE MODEL TO YOU IN YOUR LIFE/CAREER AND WHY?
I have been lucky to live in an era with many amazing role models. My role models include Malala Yousafzai, J.K Rowling, Danica Patrick, Sara Blakely, Joan Rivers, and Maya Angelou. I am inspired by their tenacity, their spirit and the fact that they didn’t take the easy path.
5. THIS YEAR’S THEME FOR INTERNATIONAL WOMEN’S DAY IS ‘MAKE IT HAPPEN’, ENCOURAGING EFFECTIVE ACTION FOR ADVANCING AND RECOGNIZING WOMEN. WHAT DO YOU THINK IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ACTION A WOMAN CAN TAKE IN HER LIFE TO MEET HER OWN VISION FOR SUCCESS?
A woman needs to mentor other women, and needs to never give up on her dreams. It may not happen the way she envisions it, or it may take longer than expected, but somehow, in some form, the dreams do come to fruition.
6. WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE YOUR LEGACY TO BE?
I would like my children, Lauryn and Madison to be proud of me and my accomplishments. I didn’t take the easy way out, my children and I have had to sacrifice time together sometimes, but I hope, someday, they will be proud of me and the life we have built.