At Q3, 2018 U.S. venture funding nearly equal to totals for entirety of 2017
Each quarter Preqin and First Republic deliver a report on the U.S. venture capital industry, covering fundraising, deal totals, exits and a detailed examination of the micro-VC market. See below to review a summary of this quarter’s key findings and to download the report.
- $71 billion in venture capital invested in U.S.-based companies across 4,116 deals as of Q3 2018 — nearly equal to the final 2017 figure of $77 billion.
- For the 6th consecutive year, average deal size for all round stages increased in 2018.
- 50% of deals in Q3 were angel/seed and Series A transactions.
- $57 billion is the aggregate value of exits for 2018 as of Q3 — the highest level since 2014.
- U.S. venture capital fundraising in 2018 YTD is at 242 funds and $29 billion, similar to 2017 fundraising levels.
- 908 U.S. VC funds are currently in market targeting $81 billion in capital, compared to 649 funds targeting $57 billion in Q3 2017.
- 62% of funds closed by U.S.-based managers are sub-$100 million micro-VC funds.
- Average time of fundraising to final close for U.S. VCs is 20 months.