- Be aware of your surroundings and exercise caution when withdrawing funds.
- If you need to access an ATM after dark, try to only use ATMs in well-lit, public areas.
- Watch for suspicious persons or activity around the ATM. If you notice anything out of the ordinary, come back later or use an ATM elsewhere. If you are in the middle of a transaction, cancel the transaction, take your card and leave the area immediately.
- Report all crimes immediately to local law enforcement and to the operator of the ATM. Consider having someone accompany you when using an ATM after dark.
- Refrain from displaying cash, and put it away as soon as your transaction is completed. Wait to count your cash until you’re in a safe location, such as a car or home.
- Safe-keep or securely dispose of your ATM receipts.